Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Update : Wednesday, 8/3/2011 11:00 PM

I will begin to update this blog regularly, instead of posting updates on Facebook and sending texts. My ham sized finger tips don't really appreciate the Blackberry keyboard!

*****

Jackson came off of his cold blanket therapy at around 1PM today.

The cold blanket therapy was keeping his metabolism and blood flow at a slower pace so his chemical levels could stabilize. It was a 72 hour therapy. His body temp was kept around 89 degrees during this time. As of 9PM, he is at 98 degrees.

His breathing is a little rapid, so they did a chest x-ray to see if there is any fluid, or if it is just his body adapting to the warmer temperature.

He was very alert and awake this evening though. Having him stare me in the eyes and grip my finger tighter broke my heart, even if it was coincidence.

A CBC test came back unfavorable, so they gave him a dose of platelets to get it back up. They will do another CBC test in the AM to see if it has changed. They may also do a spinal tap to test for meningitis. He has had zero symptoms, but they want to be absolutely sure!

Another development today is that he may be required to have a special diet his whole life. It isn't too strenuous they say. He just won't be allowed any "long chain fatty acids". I have no idea what that is yet, but Google is my friend, and I will figure it out. Besides, any diet for him is good enough for me.

The next major milestone will be Sunday or Monday when they do his seven day MRI. It will tell if there was any permanent brain damage.

*****

As many of you know, Court had a rough morning yesterday, and this morning. The nice thing is after the issues yesterday, they were able to get her stabilized much, much faster. She is still in the Medicine ICU, but seems upbeat and much more coherent this afternoon and evening. I was able to carry on a conversation with her for about an hour, and I didn't get chastised once! :P

I wish I had more to report on Court, but right now we are just playing the waiting game.

No comments:

Post a Comment